Family with CO levels life-threating injuries released from hospital
Roanoke, Virginia – At around 12 a.m. on Sunday, 8 people were transported to hospital by the Roanoke Fire-EMS with a life-threatening injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning.
As of Monday, the family was released from hospital and is doing fine. When the incident happened, the family was in their house garage and they suddenly felt dizzy and with difficulties in breathing.
Lieutenant CJ Arrington said that they got called for a breathing difficulties.
Once crews arrived at 4400 block of Thelma Street NW, they found multiple patients experiencing varying levels of consciousness and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Officials located a propane tank and a heating element being used with improper ventilation, causing a carbon monoxide build-up in the home.
“We needed way more medic trucks to help with the amount we have going,” Arrington said.
Experts say that this type of accident could have been avoided.
A community risk reduction specials, Kristen Perdue, said that when you have a heating aapliance used by gas in garage, the carbon monoxide alarm may not work
Perdue is hoping that this incident will be a warning for families who are trying to stay warms this winter.
Roanoke Fire-EMS reminds us that commercials heaters should only be used outside with proper ventilation, and test your carbon monoxide monitor once in a week.