Local News

Gas leak at Salem Kroger leads to evacuation

Roanoke, Virginia – Nobody was taken to hospitals after a gas leak Thursday night at a Kroger store in Salem.

Around 8 p.m., people inside the Spartan Square Kroger started experiencing minor respiratory problems, according to Salem Fire-EMS. After Kroger staff called dispatch, they were told to evacuate the building just to be safe.

Brian Hollins, the battalion chief of the Fire and EMS Department, said Thursday night, “No problem, nobody was transported. During the search of the building to see if anything was found, we noted a natural gas smell and Roanoke gas is on scene to try to pinpoint the scene and mitigate the issue.”

Marco Harmon

I was born and raised in Roanoke, VA. I studied Communications Studies at Roanoke College, and I’ve been part of the news industry ever since. Visiting my favorite downtown Roanoke bars and restaurants with my friends is how I spend most of my free time when I'm not at the desk.

Related Articles

Back to top button